The main features of the final version were:
- A custom XML format, and the ability to read in OBJ files.
- Diffuse and specular shading
- 2D and 3D texturing
- Stochastic tracing (Soft shadows, Anti-Aliasing, DoF)
- Bump Mapping
- Environment mapping
- Recursive tracing (reflection, refraction)
- Optimization using several types of Acceleration Structures
- (Very minimal) support for making animations
I actually spent time going into a lot of detail (considering both effects and acceleration structures) of this project on a blog I kept for a while. The blog posts can be found here. It might be more fun to look at the pretty pictures I made with it, which you can find in this Picasa album.